Girl's Leg Rot, Mummified After Venomous Snake Bite
Venezuela—a 13-year-old unidentified girl was bitten by a snake which caused her to suffer from severe Necrosis. Necrosis is death of bod...
Venezuela—a 13-year-old unidentified girl was bitten by a snake which caused her to suffer from severe Necrosis. Necrosis is death of body tissue. It occurs when there is not enough blood flowing to the tissue, whether from injury, radiation, or chemicals. Necrosis is not reversible. When substantial areas of tissue die due to a lack of blood supply, the condition is called gangrene.
This is what happened to the said girl, after she was bitten by a snake. When she got home, her parents turned to local remedies instead of taking her to the doctor. The remedy may only have involved taking antibiotics to treat the wound, and nothing else to prevent the venom from spreading throughout her body.
It was only after a month before they decided to bring her to the hospital, as her leg started to turn black and rot away. The rest of her body also showed signs of muscle atrophy from the venom. Doctors from Caracas said that the leg needs to be amputated but she may still die as the venom has already spread in her body.
The necrosis then led to a condition called Rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis is a condition in which damaged sketeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly. Breakdown products of damaged muscle cellsare released into the bloodstream; some of these, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure.
WATCH THE VIDEO: